[Dovecot] IMAP to Maildir Migration preserving UIDs?

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Thu Jan 26 22:08:18 EET 2012

Hi

> Yeap, taht's what I'm doing to do, except that I would have to proxy
> more than just IMAP and POP - it's a one-does-it-all kind of machine
> accepting mail delivered from the outside, relaying outgoing mail,
> does webmail, does all this things very poorly... I have the choice of
> forcing all users to change to the new, dedicated servers doing these
> things, or reimplementing / porxying all of this on my new dovecot
> server which I so desperately want to keep neat and tidy...

In that case I would suggest perhaps that the IP is taken over by a
dedicated firewall box (running the OS of your choice).  The firewall
could then be used to port forward the services to the individual
machines responsible for each service.  This would give you the benefit
that you could easily move other services off/around

We are clearly off topic to dovecot...

Plenty of good firewall options.  If you want small, compact and low
power, then you can pickup a bunch off intel compatible boards around
the low couple hundred £s mark fairly easily.  Run your favourite distro
and firewall on them.  If you hadn't seen them before, I quite like
Lanner for appliances, eg:
     http://www.lannerinc.com/x86_Network_Appliances/x86_Desktop_Appliances

For example if you added a small appliance running linux which runs that
IP, then you could add intrusion detection, bounce the web traffic to
the windows box (or even just certain URLs, other URLs could go to some
hypothetical linux box, etc), port forwarding the mail to the new
dovecot box, etc, etc.  Incremental price would be surprisingly low, but
lots of extra flexibility?

Just a thought

Good luck

Ed W