[Dovecot] maildir vs mdbox

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Jan 29 00:20:06 EET 2012

On 28.1.2012, at 19.02, Jean-Daniel Beaubien wrote:

> Btw, when I migrate my emails from Maildir to mdbox, dsync should take into
> account the rotate_size parameter. If I want to change the rotate_size
> parameter, I simply edit the config file, change the parameter (erase the
> mdbox folder?) and re-run dsync. Is that correct?

Yes. You can also give -o mdbox_rotate_size=X parameter to dsync to override the config. The mdbox_rotate_size is started to be used immediately, so if you increase it Dovecot may start appending new mails to old files. The existing files aren't immediately shrunk, but during purge when writing new files the files can become smaller.