[Dovecot] maildir vs mdbox

Jean-Daniel Beaubien jd.beaubien at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 19:02:46 EET 2012

On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 11:37 AM, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:

> On 28.1.2012, at 18.13, Jean-Daniel Beaubien wrote:
>
> > Considering my use case (small number of accounts but alot of emails per
> > account, and I should add that they are mostly small emails, most under
> 5k,
> > alot under 30k) what mdbox setting would you recommend i start testing
> with
> > (mdbox_rotate_size and mdbox_rotate_interval).
>
> mdbox_rotate_interval is useful only if you want smaller incremental
> backups (so files that are backed up no longer change unless messages are
> deleted). Its default is 0 (I just fixed example-config, which showed it as
> 1day).
>
> To be honest, the smaller incremental backup part is interesting. That
along with auto-gzip of the mdbox files are very interesting for me.

> I don't really know about mdbox_rotate_size. It would be nice if someone
> were to test different values over longer period and report how it affects
> disk IO.

I was thinking on doing a test with 20MB and 80MB, look at the results and
go from there.

Btw, when I migrate my emails from Maildir to mdbox, dsync should take into
account the rotate_size parameter. If I want to change the rotate_size
parameter, I simply edit the config file, change the parameter (erase the
mdbox folder?) and re-run dsync. Is that correct?