[Dovecot] Mountpoints

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jan 31 02:42:33 EET 2012

On 31.1.2012, at 2.03, Joseph Tam wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Jan 2012, dovecot-request at dovecot.org wrote:
>
>> So, I was thinking about adding doveadm commands to explicitly tell
>> Dovecot about the mountpoints that it needs to care about.  When no
>> mountpoints are defined Dovecot would behave as it does now.
>
> Maybe I don't understand the subtlety of your question, but are you
> trying to disambiguate between a mounted filesytem and a failed mount
> that presents the underlying filesystem (which looks like an uninitilized
> index directory)?

Yes. A mounted filesystem where a directory doesn't exist vs. accidentally unmounted filesystem.

> Couldn't you write some cookie file "/mount/.../dovecot-data-root/.dovemount",
> whose existence will tell you whether the FS is mounted without trying to
> find the mount root.

This would require that existing installations create such a file or start failing after upgrade. Or that it's made optional and most people wouldn't use this functionality at all.. And I'm sure many people with a single filesystem wouldn't be all that happy creating /.dovemount or /home/.dovemount or such files.