[Dovecot] converting from mbox to maildir ?

Frank Bonnet f.bonnet at esiee.fr
Mon Jan 30 10:37:59 EET 2012

Hello

We are planning to convert our mailhub ( freebsd 7.4 ) from mbox
format to maildir format.

I've read the documentation and performed some tests on another
machine it is a bit long ...

I would like some feedback from guys who did this operation and
need some advice on what to convert first ?

- first convert INBOX then convert IMAP folders ?
- first convert IMAP folders then convert INBOX ?

the machine use real users thru openldap ( pam_ldap + nss_ldap )

another problem is disk space. The users's email data takes about
2 Terabytes of data and I cannot duplicate as I only have 3 Tb on
the raid array of the server.

My idea is to use one of our NFS netapp filer during the convertion
to throw the result of the convertion on an NFS mounted directory.

Anyone did this before ? If yes I would be greatly interrested by
their experience

Thank you