[Dovecot] Outlook 2010 very slow when using IMAP - are there any tweaks?

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Mon Jul 2 20:55:37 EEST 2012

Am 02.07.2012 19:10, schrieb Wojciech Puchar:
>> Equivalents of all these can be presented the other way around against
>> badly configured free software solutions.
>
> Fortunately not microsoft sets open standard and have to conform to them
> or there will be microsoft only mail. And more fortunately not these
> admins.
>
> OK response from exchange server getting properly my e-mail is enough
> proof that email was delivered to it.
> No attempts (including tcpdump trace) of sending e-mail from exchange
> serverr to me is too a proof of email not being delivered by it.
>
> Yet fortunately it is really easy to fight it - EXPLAIN people.
>
> Most people just don't know what they are doing wrong and not willingly
> want to make things more complicated. Simply explaining them is from my
> experience enough in 99% of cases. YES really it works but most people
> here never tried it!
>
> As for latter - maybe it is possible to make exchange actually work, but
> statistics shows that it is not possible, or incredibly hard or people
> that are exchange administrators have no knowledge.
>
> For any of my clients asking if exchange or outlook would be good
> solution i just recommend visiting any company that actually use it and
> ask average employee (not boss). This always work.
>
> The other false statement is that such solution are designed for large
> scale businesses. The larger case the less chance it may work at all.
>
> Seems i am the only one here that do not fear the truth. I don't risk
> being fired :) as i work for those that (most often) already got at
> least one of that "enterprise" solutions and wanted something that
> actually work.
>
> And this is what i recommend to all of you.
>

> I recommend ending this topic altogether, as it is not dovecot related
> at all - unless anyone will find a problem with Dovecot implementation
> of IMAP that is clearly not confirming to standards, and (possibly)
> affect microsoft outlook.
>
> Highly unlikely but possible.
>
> Dovecot is high performance IMAP server, but will not fix bad client
> software.

Hi , as i said million times before
dont compare  the incomparable

Outlook is the client of Exchange , it can do smtp,imap,pop3 too

its sold as a solution, with os , server, auth system ,client , support
people etc

There is no reason for M$ to make Qutlook fit in a perfect
imap client cause this would goal in less reason for exchange

Nevertheless if you have good admins and money to buy licences
and good support, outlook and exchange are good company solutions for
intranet mail and groupware ( like calendering etc )

dont flame by m$ is earning money, help making
free solutions to get better
specially in groupware functions with cross os clients like
thunderbird etc

dovecot is an imap server it has allready nearly all features
comparable to the "exchange imap part", like folder acl etc
nothing more is the job of dovecot

customers want to do calendering with sharing ,adressbooks
with sharings etc all with one client ( for sure mostly they are
Outlook junkies )  but this isnt the real problem

The real problem is that there arent full working and
comparable groupware funktions in one client yet, also on the server side
there arent complete free solutions
cal/carddav is on the way, as well as syncml and other stuff
so the goal is near to have all stuff needed to get comparable and much
better

meanwhile help dovecot users in fix their tec problems not
in flame the shouldnt use a client whatever , most of the times this
isnt what server admin can press sombody too

Outlook works fine with dovecot if your setup is right
dont think thunderbird is a bugless imap client

At the end know your enemy, dont talk about outlook if
you never worked around it, dont expect things from stuff
which it was never made for solve
--
Best Regards
MfG Robert Schetterer