[Dovecot] Outlook 2010 very slow when using IMAP - are there any tweaks?

Giles Coochey giles at coochey.net
Mon Jul 2 23:25:17 EEST 2012

On 02/07/2012 17:12, Kaya Saman wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 4:31 PM, Giles Coochey <giles at coochey.net> wrote:
>> On 02/07/2012 16:22, Giles Coochey wrote:
>>> The size is in KB. I'm afraid cache-timeout and the inner workings
>>> would be something only Timo or the Source Code know :-)
>>>
>> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Authentication/Caching
>>
>> the TTL setting is in seconds - perhaps what you are looking for?
>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Giles Coochey, CCNA, CCNAS
>> NetSecSpec Ltd
>> +44 (0) 7983 877438
>> http://www.netsecspec.co.uk
>> giles.coochey at netsecspec.co.uk
>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Giles Coochey, CCNA, CCNAS
>> NetSecSpec Ltd
>> +44 (0) 7983 877438
>> http://www.coochey.net
>> http://www.netsecspec.co.uk
>> giles at coochey.net
>>

> Giles,
>
> what's really weird is that if I keep increasing the Cache TTL and
> Cache size, the speed of transfer starts dropping.
>
> Perhaps I haven't hit the sweet spot yet however,
>

> running:
>
> auth_cache_size = 160000 B
> auth_cache_ttl = 8 hours
>

> I am actually knocking off 4 seconds from half size values.
>

> To be honest I just whish I could understand what is going on in order
> to get the transfer sub-3 minutes!
>

> Regards,
>
> Kaya
I would have thought that just enabling a simple cache would have given
you a little performance increase, but unless you have a lot of users
tweaking the values ought not to give you much more of a performance gain.
In any case, the bottleneck appears to be your authentication mechanism,
for which you're using a samba tool (presumably for AD integration). The
key to this at the end would be to actually get a performance gain from
the authentication itself, but I guess that would be something for the
Samba list.

--
Regards,

Giles Coochey, CCNA, CCNAS