[Dovecot] Howto add another disk storage

Adrian Minta adrian.minta at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 00:09:31 EEST 2012

On 07/04/12 23:22, J E Lyon wrote:
> On 4 Jul 2012, at 21:01, Adrian Minta wrote:
>
>> What is the best strategy to add another storage to an existing virtual mail system ?
>> Move some domains to the new storage and create symlinks ?
>> Switch to dovecot hashing ? But in this case what is the easy-east way to migrate ?
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions or tips !
> Are you using Volume Management (VLM) on the system, or do you have regular partitions mounted? Is there any RAID or other factors to consider . . in fact, a few details about your system might help :)
>
> ~ James.

No LVM and the RAID is done in the SAN appliance.
My gut tells me that formatting a single huge 25TB partition is not the
best way to go. That's why I consider having two different LUN's on two
different SAN's mounted together as two directories. A fsck and a
recovery will work faster.
The only issue is distributing maildirs. across the two file systems.