[Dovecot] Howto add another disk storage

Kaya Saman kayasaman at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 13:15:47 EEST 2012

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 11:01 AM, J E Lyon
<role.Dovecot-Readers at jlassocs.com> wrote:
> On 5 Jul 2012, at 10:55, Kaya Saman wrote:
>
>> That's why I'm not even thinking of migrating the mission critical
>> stuff running on CentOS 5 to even CentOS 6 yet.
>
> I'm in an identical position there -- and in fact, I think it's time to get some virtualised hosting of CentOS 6 servers, once I decide on the choice of underlying solution . . feels like a minefield at this point in time . . I've been working with RedHat then RH & Fedora then CentOS since the 90s, but haven't any firsthand experience of installing & maintaining VMWare or anything like it. Exciting times :)

Wow it sounds nice :-)

I am still part of the old school thought trend in that everything
should have it's own dedicated hardware and preferably be SPARC cpu
based, but if I took that attitude at work or anywhere else I went, I
would be thought of as a troll :-P (use my way or else.... ?? blaaaah)

>> Ok this may sound incredibly sad so don't sue me for it, but for my
>> OpenSource work at home I have switched over from 15+ Linux servers
>> down to 1x FreeBSD system running Jails.
>
> Ah yes... see above :)

Vmware does not compare to FreeBSD and jails. Use FreeBSD becase blah
blah blah.... haha sorry just thought I would inocently troll :-)

Yeah I agree, Vmware or Citrix Xen do make life easier to accomodate
for the broad spectrum user running a mixture of OS's - like most
people. It is definitely the way forward.

And as not to get too side tracked from the original content of the
posting by the OP. It is worth making systems work and integrate
together, meaning having a dedicated device for storage and then
mounting that in whatever OS you run whichever service on.

I am not sure though if a remote file system would need to be locally
provisioned.... as if created a pool on a SAN or NAS with (x) file
system. The Dovecot server shouldn't really need to know anything else
other then where on that FS to put the Mail boxes or dir's. The only
thing that I could think of is that disk IO or network bandwidth may
be a performance factor but that should really only be it.

Other then different file systems peforming in different ways of course.

> J.

Regards,

Kaya