[Dovecot] Howto add another disk storage

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Tue Jul 10 07:42:11 EEST 2012

On Mon, 2012-07-09 at 12:10 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:

> what you do not understand is that a proper SAN is NOT
> an complex setup, it is in many cases a simpler one
> because you have TWO controllers, disks with DUAL channel
> and a proper RAID level in ONE device
>
> to built all this redundancy at your own is a much
> complexer software-setup and you can be pretty sure
> taht as long you are not dealing night and day with
> storage/Failover-setups the people designing a
> SAN have much more expierience what the are doing

Is not my experience with some pretty large  ISP's, SAN might have its
place for web, but not in any mail world I'm responsible for, stress
testing has shown me no SAN speed difference of NAS for mail (yes this
may differ is an office world, but not when dealing with the size of
emails) and I sure as hell wont pay the extra gazillion these vendors
want for the SAN gear.