[Dovecot] ot: execute a script via email? [procmail]

Andrzej A. Filip andrzej.filip at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 17:15:43 EEST 2012

On 07/13/2012 11:14 AM, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
>> anyone has any tips what's best way to execute a script via email ?
>
> use procmail - it's easy and actually works. you can do basically
> everything with procmail.
>
> This question is off topic, dovecot is not SMTP agent.
>
>> I have a wget script that fetches some pages, and, emails me the output,
>> there is no paramters passed, it's all in the script
>> I'll like to email in and action the script to get the results email
>>

> use procmail and possibly formail to execute anything and optionally
> reply the result
>
> man procmailrc
> man procmailex
> man formail
>
> make sure procmail is actually executed on your mail system. depends
> of your MTA.

Are you willing to recommend procmail without any warnings/disclaimers
whatsoever?

<quote src=" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procmail ">
Stable release
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle> 3.22 /
September 10, 2001
[...]
Procmail is widely used on Unix
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix>-based systems and stable, but no
longer maintained; users who wish to use a maintained
program are advised to use an alternative MDA, </quote>