[Dovecot] Confusion when trying to set up a first postfix+dovecot mailserver

Sun Jul 22 13:41:26 EEST 2012

On 2012-07-22 5:53 AM, Hans J. Albertsson > As an example, to wit, in the
> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/SharedMailboxes/Public doc, there's a line
>
> "In the above example, you would then create Maildir mailboxes under the
> /var/mail/public/ directory."
>
> and a colour plate plate showing a directory listing.
>
> # ls -la /var/mail/public/
> drwxr-s--- 1 root mail 0 2007-03-19 03:12 .
> drwxrws--- 1 root mail 0 2007-03-19 03:12 .lkml
> drwxrws--- 1 root mail 0 2007-03-19 03:12 .bugtraq
> -rw-rw---- 1 root mail 0 2007-03-19 03:12 dovecot-shared
>
> I am guessing that this means I'm supposed to do mkdir dovecot-shared
> inside /var/mail/public.

Since it isn't listed as a directory, I'm confused as to why would you
guess that?

dovecot-shared is a FILE, not a directory.

The 3rd line below that example on that page specifically says:

"The dovecot-shared FILE..."

It seems to me that you aren't even bothering to read these docs, andit
is more like all you want to do is complain that there is nothing
already written holding your hand through every possible config that you
want to accomplish.

Dovecot is primarily written by one guy (Timo), and he does a remarkable
job of both coding and documenting dovecot on the wiki, as well as
answering support questions here on the list, and while sometimes there
are a few days before he answers many questions, serious bug reports
generally get prompt attention, and I don't think I've ever seen him not
respond to a question in time.

There is no doubt that dovecot could really use some good, experienced
technical writers that could help Timo with documenting dovecot to make
it easier to learn by someone new to it, and I'm sure he would welcome
that help - are you volunteering?

> Sorry if I'm being horridly difficult, but I think (from experiencing it
> as a user) dovecot is too good not to have proper tutorials and howtos.

Well, dovecot's intended audience isn't a 'user', it is experienced
system/mail admins, but if you are volunteering to help Timo (and the
dovecot community) out by improving the wiki documentation and/or
creating some of these HowTos from the perspective of someone totally
new to dovecot (and maybe even IMAP servers in general), then I am quite
certain that Timo will welcome such help.

And as for documentation in the form of books, you cannot compare
dovecot to postfix in this regard.

Postfix is one of the most mature, stable projects out there - it's core
functionality basically never changes (only the rare bug fixes), and
major new features are pretty rare too, so even books written 8 years
ago are still fairly relevant (and generally are only missing the new
features).

With dovecot, things are very different. It is still very young and
changing rapidly, and probably will continue to do so as Timo adds new
features on his ToDo list. A book written even a year ago would not have
much use to someone using the current version today. As it matures and
features stabilize, this will change, and I'm hopeful that in a year or
two, dovecot will stabilize to the point that some of the talented book
writers out there will take on such a huge project - but none of them
want to do that right now because dovecot is such a fast moving target.

--

Best regards,

Charles