[Dovecot] Can we know when a user read our email?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Jun 4 17:14:49 EEST 2012

Am 04.06.2012 15:36, schrieb Ed W:
>> Then tell them their only option is to buy Exchange Server and Outlook for everyone - but explain that this
>> 'feature' *still* will not work for recipients that are outside of your control (ie, it will only work for local
>> recipients - and I *think* it is possible to set up Trusts with other external Exchange Servers, but not sure,
>> and if it does, it requires the explicit cooperation of the other systems admin).
>>
>> Bottom line: do NOT promise the impossible to a client just to win the business. It is a losing proposition, as
>> you are beginning to see...
>>

> We run small ISP selling mail accounts to customers.  *our customers* want to
> voluntarily tell senders when they have downloaded an email via POP.

and the sender for sure wants this too for every single message?
i doubt not

> The basic requirement is when the message is accessed via POP, then the
> sender (presumably defined by  the FROM address) is sent a notification.

have fun if ONE user has enabled "leave messages on server" and
his machine crashs - the next time he will setup his account
again he would self-DOS the mail-system

> Please don't argue about the spam aspects, etc - we are all on the same page here

wait until one of the company get fired and leave you
a little "present" with a lot of forged senders

>  However, it's not an entirely foolish request

it IS a entirely foolish request

each mail client in this world supports "acknowledgment of receipt"
the sender has only to configure his account correctly and
the rcpt can decide if his client should send confirmations

* always
* per confirm on each message
* alaways for specific senders
* or even not send this bullshit at all

such things has CLEARLY not to be implemented on the server side

if the users are too stupid to user their mail-client and the
admins missing any knowledge to do this for the users solve
this problem by educate them in e-mail baiscs