[Dovecot] Can we know when a user read our email?

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Thu Jun 7 00:59:57 EEST 2012

On 04/06/2012 15:14, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 04.06.2012 15:36, schrieb Ed W:
>>> Then tell them their only option is to buy Exchange Server and Outlook for everyone - but explain that this
>>> 'feature' *still* will not work for recipients that are outside of your control (ie, it will only work for local
>>> recipients - and I *think* it is possible to set up Trusts with other external Exchange Servers, but not sure,
>>> and if it does, it requires the explicit cooperation of the other systems admin).
>>>
>>> Bottom line: do NOT promise the impossible to a client just to win the business. It is a losing proposition, as
>>> you are beginning to see...
>>>
>> We run small ISP selling mail accounts to customers.  *our customers* want to
>> voluntarily tell senders when they have downloaded an email via POP.
> and the sender for sure wants this too for every single message?
> i doubt not

I'm not sure why this is so hard to believe.  There is literally a class
of customers that have a specification which says that there must be a
notification sent back to the sender whenever they download their
emails.  I cannot currently bid for their business.

A spec is a spec - either you can meet the spec or you can't bid for the
business...

Ed W