[Dovecot] [ Re: best practises for mail systems]

Michescu Andrei andrei.michescu at miau.ca
Tue Jun 5 23:33:25 EEST 2012

Hello,

> I agree, in practice this is not an issue compared to the unavailability
> of the service, but on longer IMAP sessions (e.g. transferring a big
> file) the connection loss is noticeable.

It is noticeable for somebody that really waits for a large email. For the
standard user there is nothing visible because the synchronization starts
/ fails and starts again...

In corporate environment the servers are "close" and the network is
generally configured to have proper Destination Unreachable.

For road-warriors, the main concern is the uplink/downlink and generally
not the couple of seconds lost due to time-out.

For the DNS... use "fast-flux"-like configuration and any proper resolver
will behave correctly (at least in my experience).

For the road-warrior setup: DNS with geoip, and all locations with
split-dns (internally HA setup with failover on external locations).

Unfortunately the classical HA setup (with heart-beat monitor, update DNS
etc etc) it is not designed to be "internet-proof" (internet like in WAN).
The initial design of the internet was to be able to operate even when
significant segments are unavailable.

Picture the following scenario: master servers on each continent.
Catastrophic failure of the trans-continental network => 5 big
disconnected chunks of network fully functional. Any HA setup that I saw
will fail miserably. The simplest design with fully replicated masters
will continue to work.

Obviously planning for the scenario above is an overkill for most of the
companies out there. Once you trow in the advantage of have the emails
close to you anywhere where you go, then it starts making sense.

And you can top it up by segmenting you user base to replicate only the
users that are on the go, or are important enough.

As for the current status of the ideal implementation: waiting for Timo to
finalize the refactoring of dsync.

As a temporary solution: rsync replication with master-slave model (not
master-master).

This design makes sense to us, but I'm sure that it is under-optimal for
most other uses.

Andrei