[Dovecot] [ Re: best practises for mail systems]

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Jun 6 00:43:38 EEST 2012

On 5.6.2012, at 23.33, Michescu Andrei wrote:

>> I agree, in practice this is not an issue compared to the unavailability
>> of the service, but on longer IMAP sessions (e.g. transferring a big
>> file) the connection loss is noticeable.
>
> It is noticeable for somebody that really waits for a large email.

And there is actually some (any!) way this could be avoided?... One server dies, another continues sending the mail?

I have had some thoughts about transferring idling Dovecot connections between processes / servers so that clients wouldn't notice it, but I haven't even thought about moving active (long-running) connections.