[Dovecot] Dovecot auth process delays exiting if LDAPS passdb used

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Jun 11 22:56:06 EEST 2012

On 11.6.2012, at 19.39, SATOH Fumiyasu wrote:

> At Mon, 11 Jun 2012 18:32:35 +0300,
> Timo Sirainen wrote:
>>> If an auth client remains a connection to dovecot/auth,
>>> dovecot/auth does NOT exit immediately when dovecot master exits.
>>
>> Ah, now we're getting somewhere :) Yes, this is correct and intentional. But it should still close the listeners, so this shouldn't happen:
>>
>> May 24 00:42:10 build-aix6 mail:err|error dovecot: master: Error: service(auth): Socket already exists: /opt/osstech/var/run/dovecot/auth-login
>
>>> (6) Stop dovecot service.
>>>
>>> # /etc/init.d/dovecot stop
>>
>> And (7) /etc/init.d/dovecot start fails?
>
> Yes: AIX 6.1, 7.1
> No: Debian GNU/Linux stable, testing, unstable / Solaris 10

OK, so this is AIX specific. Two problems: 1) I have no access to AIX to test and debug this, 2) even if I did, I'm not very motivated in debugging possibly hours for a system that is very rarely used in email servers.. (If any AIX user wanted to buy one of the Dovecot support services, I could look into this and get it fixed in some way.)

It would also be possible to modify the sources a bit to get the pending processes killed immediately at shutdown.