[Dovecot] squat not working in 2.1

Michael Gmelin freebsd at grem.de
Sat Jun 9 04:07:56 EEST 2012

On 29.2.12 11:03, Christoph Bußenius wrote:
> On 21.02.2012 01:18, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>> On 20.2.2012, at 19.30, Metro Domain Admin wrote:
>>
>>> Squat is apparently deprecated:
>>> http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2011-December/062630.html
>>
>> Yes, but it should still work..
>
> As far as I can tell from my tests, squat has stopped working in 2.1.
>
> Let's take a user who does not have any mails yet, and deliver a first
> mail to him:
>
> echo -e 'From: <test at example.org>\nSubject: test\n\ntest\ntest' |
> /usr/local/dovecot/libexec/dovecot/dovecot-lda -d testuser
>
> Now create an IMAP session, select INBOX, and do a search:
>
> * 1 EXISTS
> * 1 RECENT
> * OK [UNSEEN 1] First unseen.
> * OK [UIDVALIDITY 1330509552] UIDs valid
> * OK [UIDNEXT 2] Predicted next UID
> * OK [HIGHESTMODSEQ 1] Highest
> . OK [READ-WRITE] Select completed.
> * SEARCH
> . OK Search completed (0.006 secs).
>
> (Should have returned 1 message.)
>
> Deliver the same message again:
> echo -e 'From: <test at example.org>\nSubject: test\n\ntest\ntest' |
> /usr/local/dovecot/libexec/dovecot/dovecot-lda -d testuser
>
> Now in the existing session, run the search command three more times:

> * SEARCH
> * 2 EXISTS
> * 2 RECENT
> . OK Search completed (0.000 secs).
> * SEARCH 2
> . OK Search completed (0.002 secs).
> * SEARCH
> . OK Search completed (0.000 secs).
>
> It found the message once, but the next time it didn't.  So the squat
> search does not actually seem to work any more.  I know it's
> deprecated, I just wanted to note this.
>
> Cheers,
> Christoph

I had the same symptoms (dovecot 2.1.7), but in my case the reason were
corrupted Maildir filenames (S=xxxx and the actual file size differed,
which among other things also caused trouble in fts_squat). Those files
were a result of a bug in the qmail-maildir++ patch.

For details see http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2012-June/066281.html

--
Michael