[Dovecot] \NoSelect on missing folders in LIST

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Mar 5 16:45:55 EET 2012

On 5.3.2012, at 15.01, Peter Mogensen wrote:

> I have a Maildir which has been accessed by an Apple Mail client, so it got folders like:
>
> INBOX
> INBOX.Trash
> INBOX.INBOX.folder
> INBOX.INBOX.folder.a
> INBOX.INBOX.folder.b
>
> The INBOX.INBOX folder does not exist on disk and is not subscribed.
>
> Courier responds to:
> . list "" "*"
> with
> * LIST (\Noselect \HasChildren) "." "INBOX.INBOX"

I'm surprised Courier would return this.

> But dovecot does not list that folder using "*".

But it returns all of the mailboxes under INBOX.INBOX, right?

> However, if you issue:
> . list "" "INBOX.%"
>
> Dovecot answers:
> * LIST (\Noselect \HasChildren) "." "INBOX.INBOX"

Yes, because if it didn't the client wouldn't know that there are mailboxes under INBOX.INBOX.

> This makes some clients using "*" to get the folder list ignore the folderes below "INBOX.INBOX".

What clients? I haven't heard of this being a problem before. I think Cyrus has similar behavior as Dovecot.

Also if you used LAYOUT=fs in Dovecot, it would always show the \Noselect mailboxes because they happen to exist physically.