[Dovecot] \NoSelect on missing folders in LIST

Peter Mogensen apm at one.com
Mon Mar 5 15:01:54 EET 2012

Hi,

I noticed a difference between courier and dovecot, and I'm not sure
which of them is wrong wrt. RFC3501 - if any.

I have a Maildir which has been accessed by an Apple Mail client, so it
got folders like:

INBOX
INBOX.Trash
INBOX.INBOX.folder
INBOX.INBOX.folder.a
INBOX.INBOX.folder.b

The INBOX.INBOX folder does not exist on disk and is not subscribed.

Courier responds to:
. list "" "*"
with
* LIST (\Noselect \HasChildren) "." "INBOX.INBOX"

But dovecot does not list that folder using "*".

However, if you issue:
. list "" "INBOX.%"

Dovecot answers:
* LIST (\Noselect \HasChildren) "." "INBOX.INBOX"

This makes some clients using "*" to get the folder list ignore the
folderes below "INBOX.INBOX".
I know the recommended client way is to use "%", but I'm still curious
about which is the correct behaviour.

/Peter