[Dovecot] Lack of external documentation?

Terry Carmen terry at cnysupport.com
Thu Mar 15 21:27:37 EET 2012

On 03/15/2012 03:06 PM, Steve Campbell wrote:
> Firstly, this isn't meant to be critical, and I realize the subject
> line probably suggest criticism, so...
>
> I was sort of forced into using dovecot as my imap/pop server due to
> upgrading 3 versions of OS on my mail servers. So far, that's not bad.
> What surprises me is that one of the first things I usually do
> whenever I start using different software is to purchase a book that
> seems to suit me. Searching all of the common places like amazon,
> ebay, etc for manuals turned up little to nothing on dovecot.
>
> I'm wondering why and is this so new that people just haven't written
> books about it yet?
>
> The one thing I'm a little critical of, though, is that trying to make
> heads or tails of dovecot by following the online documentation is a
> little problematic. I'm constantly jumping to another page and then
> back to the original page, and for the most part, I just don't know
> enough about it all yet to know what I'm looking for.

The best docs are on the wiki and this mailing list. If you find the
information in the wiki to be lacking, the best thing you can do is find
the solution yourself and/or on this mailing list, and then make a wiki
entry so the next person will know how to solve the same problem you had.

Dovecot is a complex piece of software, and understanding some
functionality requires reading the wiki, asking on the mailing list
and/or examining the source code. You can also obtain paid support from
these companies: http://dovecot.org/support.html

I'll be the first to admit that complex and specialized configurations
are sometimes difficult to figure out, however this list has always been
a tremendous amount of help.

Terry