[Dovecot] Lack of external documentation?

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Thu Mar 15 21:06:31 EET 2012

Firstly, this isn't meant to be critical, and I realize the subject line
probably suggest criticism, so...

I was sort of forced into using dovecot as my imap/pop server due to
upgrading 3 versions of OS on my mail servers. So far, that's not bad.
What surprises me is that one of the first things I usually do whenever
I start using different software is to purchase a book that seems to
suit me. Searching all of the common places like amazon, ebay, etc for
manuals turned up little to nothing on dovecot.

I'm wondering why and is this so new that people just haven't written
books about it yet?

The one thing I'm a little critical of, though, is that trying to make
heads or tails of dovecot by following the online documentation is a
little problematic. I'm constantly jumping to another page and then back
to the original page, and for the most part, I just don't know enough
about it all yet to know what I'm looking for.

Does anyone know of any manuals/books that have been written that might
introduce me to most of the stuff in dovecot?

So far, the list has been great, but once the "dsync" threads started
popping up, I find there's even more I don't know about.

Thanks for all the help I've received so far and I think I'm really
going to like dovecot. Once I get the hang of it, I'll probably reduce
the amount of noise on the list by half.

steve campbell