[Dovecot] Lack of external documentation?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Mar 15 23:01:39 EET 2012

On 15.3.2012, at 21.06, Steve Campbell wrote:

> The one thing I'm a little critical of, though, is that trying to make heads or tails of dovecot by following the online documentation is a little problematic. I'm constantly jumping to another page and then back to the original page, and for the most part, I just don't know enough about it all yet to know what I'm looking for.

Perhaps it would be helpful to have some more talkative howtos for some of the typical configurations, that don't only list the options that are given but actually talks about why things are done the way they are? I've tried to avoid duplication of text in wiki, because if something changes it's difficult to update it everywhere, but in howtos I guess it wouldn't be too bad.

Or maybe the wiki could be restructured in some way to make it easier to follow. I think I'm the worst possible person to figure out anything like that, because I don't know what the difficult parts are. I'd think the Dovecot wiki is good if you know what you want to do and just want to know some specifics, but I guess it can be difficult to figure things out otherwise.

> Does anyone know of any manuals/books that have been written that might introduce me to most of the stuff in dovecot?

A few people have talked about writing a Dovecot book and I've promised to help them, but no one's actually written one as far as I know.

> So far, the list has been great, but once the "dsync" threads started popping up, I find there's even more I don't know about.

Features that aren't yet even fully implemented don't really have documentation for them.