[Dovecot] Creating an IMAP repo for ~100 users need some advice

Kaya Saman kayasaman at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 02:18:30 EET 2012

On 03/18/2012 12:04 AM, Sven Hartge wrote:
> Kaya Saman<kayasaman at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>>> Flat files are not evil or bad or slow per se, but you have to use
>>> them the right way.
>> Thanks a lot for that info. I will research more into this but I maybe
>> overridden at some point :-(
>> Need to make a strong case!
> Hmm.
>
> Just because Microsofts way of usage of flat file database sucks does
> not mean any usage of flat files is bad or evil or slow, if done right.

Coming from a UNIX background I deal quite a lot with this kind of stuff
so there's not problem for me. However, where I'm trying to deploy this
system is a primarily MS based enterprise meaning that as the only UNIX
engineer onsite and the newest addition to the team I have to convince
people of working with UNIX technologies or somehow increase UNIX awareness.

As a bi-product I know nothing about MS tech. only what it told to me by
my colleagues :-)

> Have a look at http://wiki2.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/dbox

I checked that out after your last email... I started Google'ing a
little. :-)

Looks like it would be a good solution!

> But as I wrote before, it is quite easy to convert from one format to
> the other: http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Migration/MailFormat

Once we get setup this may come in quite handy! Not sure what's going on
currently as everyone above me is still quite set in using an SQL DB as
a mail storage system???

To be honest, I run Zimbra @home for my OpenSource work and really enjoy
it; in conjunction with Dovecot on FreeBSD which I run imapsync to
backup **all** emails to.

It works really well...... :-)

I have messed around with Postfix, Dovecot and Horde3 in the past which
also was really nice.

> Grüße,
> Sven.

Regards,