[Dovecot] Creating an IMAP repo for ~100 users need some advice

Sven Hartge sven at svenhartge.de
Sun Mar 18 02:32:41 EET 2012

Kaya Saman <kayasaman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Once we get setup this may come in quite handy! Not sure what's going
> on currently as everyone above me is still quite set in using an SQL
> DB as a mail storage system???

RDBMS where not designed for such a task.  Using a relational database
as a storage method for big chunks of data is very unwise, in my
opinion. It degrades them to just being some sort of filing cabinet.

Now, wouldn't it be nice, if we had something like that, a filing
cabinet where we can store large chunks of data and randomly read and
write them in a fast manner?

Oh yes, I remember, it is called a "filesystem". Let's use some of those
to store the mail data. It will be soooo awesome! ;-)

Ok, back being serious: there is nothing wrong with using a RDBMS in the
way it was intented, to store user credentials, quota values, account
settings, forwarding addresses, address book data, bookmarks, etc.

Grüße,
Sven.

--
Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.