[Dovecot] sysconfdir depreacted

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Sun Mar 25 05:56:06 EEST 2012

On Sat, 2012-03-24 at 03:50 +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On 24.3.2012, at 3.19, Noel Butler wrote:
>
> >> Yes, I was also thinking about that, but it's about removing the dovecot/ suffix from other directories as well. That might be something worth doing (--without-package-suffix or something?).
> > it is very easy to have a search path for config file,  it shouldn't
> > take much effort at all to change that to look for the long time default
> > of /etc/dovecot.conf  first, then if not there, look in /etc/dovecot/
>
> Technically it's easy, but the result will be that more people will be confused. I'll get an increase of emails about "I changed dovecot.conf, but nothing happens?!?" My goal is to reduce the number of emails I get, not increase them.

grrr meant to comment on this too, umm since a default custom build
doesnt install any config files, this would only become a confusion if
one were using say an RPM package, and then decided to custom install,
but IIRC, RPM renames the old config anyway, least it used to in some
packages, dont know about .deb stuff though, it lacks a lot of
intelligence so probably not (/me starts flamewars)

Now I've said my bit..