[Dovecot] dovecot-1.2.9: OK No messages copied

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Mar 26 18:38:26 EEST 2012

On Mon, 2012-03-26 at 16:30 +0100, Attila Sipos wrote:
> Thanks for your time.  If you could possibly tell me how to know if an
> IMAP "UID COPY" is successful, I would appreciate it.
> Basically I'm moving a message from one folder to another.  I thought
> I could issue a COPY command, check for success, then delete the email
> from the source folder.

What kind of an application are you building? Most IMAP clients would
track the state of the mailbox, so they would already know if the UIDs
exist or no before they do a COPY. And that's really the only solution
for this.

If the client sees that some UID exists, but another session deletes it,
the COPY will fail:

a fetch 1 uid
* 1 FETCH (UID 820)
a OK Fetch completed.
b uid copy 820 Trash
* 1 EXPUNGE
b NO [EXPUNGEISSUED] Some of the requested messages no longer exist.
c uid copy 820 Trash
c OK No messages copied.