[Dovecot] Building Dovecot RHEL RPMs with custom LDAP packages

Nikolaos Milas nmilas at noa.gr
Mon Mar 19 13:20:22 EET 2012

Hi,

We are (still) mainly using CentOS 5 (5.8 x86_64). As CentOS / RHEL 5
standard OpenLDAP packages are rather old (2.3.x), we've been using LTB
OpenLDAP packages (http://ltb-project.org/wiki/download#openldap), which
get installed in non-standard file system locations.

So, I would like to re-build Dovecot packages based on these OpenLDAP
libraries, esp. because I see that dovecot RPM packages are built using
OpenLDAP v2.3 libraries.

I am not much experienced in building RPMs and preparing spec files.

In http://dl.atrpms.net/all/dovecot.spec I see:

BuildRequires: openldap-devel, cyrus-sasl-devel

Obsoletes: %{name}-pgsql < %{epoch}:%{version}-%{release}, %{name}-mysql
< %{epoch}:%{version}-%{release}, %{name}-sqlite <
%{epoch}:%{version}-%{release}, %{name}-ldap <
%{epoch}:%{version}-%{release}, $
Conflicts: %{name}-pgsql > %{epoch}:%{version}-%{release}, %{name}-mysql
 > %{epoch}:%{version}-%{release}, %{name}-sqlite >
%{epoch}:%{version}-%{release}, %{name}-ldap >
%{epoch}:%{version}-%{release}, $

So, I can change the former reference (openldap-devel) to:

    openldap-ltb-debuginfo, cyrus-sasl-devel

Question 1: What other changes should we make in order to specify that
we will be using LDAP libraries from: /usr/local/openldap/lib64 and
include files from: /usr/local/openldap/include (rather than from
/usr/lib64 and /usr/include, respectively, which are the standard file
paths used in openldap-devel)

Question 2: How the Obsoletes and Conflicts lines should be changed?

Question 3: It seems to me (by reading the spec file) that the final
Dovecot RPM (and the included executables) does not need any LDAP
dynamic library in order to run with LDAP support (because I don't see
any dependencies on openldap package). Can somebody please confirm?

Any other associated info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick