[Dovecot] IMAP NOTIFY extension

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed May 9 05:46:02 EEST 2012

On Tue, 2012-05-08 at 21:17 -0500, ashley willis wrote:
> your work on NOTIFY was brought to my attention, and I see it hasn't
> been changed in two months, a week after you announced it. a few users
> and some mail admins have been wanting something like this for k9
> mail, which I help develop. what is the current status? is it worth
> installing and starting work in getting k9 to support it yet? I'd
> offer help on your end, but I just know java and perl. c code usually
> confuses me (i keep meaning to learn, but...). thanks!

I'm planning on continuing it, but first I'll need to get dsync rewrite
finished. It's getting close..

I think you should be able to already test the NOTIFY code, at least if
your main purpose is to see when non-selected mailboxes change. My TODO
list says:

    - check how FlagChange handles HIGHESTMODSEQ when it hasn't previously
      been enabled
    - fetch-att for NOTIFY and for SEARCH UPDATE
    - implement MailboxName, SubscriptionChange

Also I think you must have mailbox_list_indexes=yes for NOTIFY to see
any changes. The "fetch-att" means that you can't tell Dovecot to push
FETCH fields for new messages.