[Dovecot] dovecot report W value error and Corrupted index cache file

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon May 14 18:34:33 EEST 2012

On Mon, 2012-05-14 at 13:39 +0800, 甄东宇 wrote:
> Yesterday Dovecot.log report:
>
> Warning: Fixed a duplicate:

This is probably from your rsyncs.

> Now Dovecot.log report:
>
>          Error: FETCH [ ] for mailbox INBOX UID 10546 got too little data:
> 79850 vs 81231
>
>          Error: Maildir filename has wrong W value:
> /opt/DIR/DOMAIN/USER/cur/1281317869.M*.*,S=79569,W=81231:2,S~

What is that "~" there in the filename? Something has been writing to
Maildir directly and saving a mail with "~" suffix? That shouldn't have
been done, and looks like Dovecot started reading the file before it was
fully written, or alternatively the file wasn't fully written at all.

> Yesterday, I copy the mail data from old machine to new one through RSYNC.
> I guess maybe the errors have a relationship with rsync, because the new
> machine open SELinux and the rsync data error. Although the files were
> copyed to /cur directory , it seemed to appear the same mail file.
>
>          Now,I receive some BLANK mails by pop3 of OutLook2007 . There are
> not any Header and any Body( Totally BLANK). Outlook show they are 760B
> size.

Have you checked if there are such blank mails in the Maildir? I think
your maildir just got somewhat broken..