[Dovecot] Log files

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon May 14 19:08:14 EEST 2012

On Thu, 2012-05-10 at 14:43 -0400, Chris Lasater wrote:
> Hi,
>     I just started using Dovecot and was trying to create separate logs
> instead of using syslog.  Is there a way to get the file permission to be
> something other then root?

The log files are created by the master dovecot process at startup,
which typically runs as root, so it also creates the logs as root:root
0600. Once the logs are created, their permissions are no longer
touched. So I usually simply change the permissions once with
chown/chmod.

>   I have tried the below configuration and it
> does not seem to change anything. The log process does change to a new
> user, but it still creates and writes as root.  Whenever I test a new
> setting I delete all the current logs so they will have to be recreated to
> make sure it does not just keep the previous permissions.

Right, so that doesn't work..

>    I also dont see much documentation on the service log.  according to
> dovecot -a there are a good number of options, but I dont see any
> information about them.

Those aren't specific to log service. There is common documentation for
all services in http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Services