[Dovecot] Log files

Chris Lasater vorgusa at gmail.com
Thu May 10 21:43:04 EEST 2012

Hi,
    I just started using Dovecot and was trying to create separate logs
instead of using syslog.  Is there a way to get the file permission to be
something other then root?  I have tried the below configuration and it
does not seem to change anything. The log process does change to a new
user, but it still creates and writes as root.  Whenever I test a new
setting I delete all the current logs so they will have to be recreated to
make sure it does not just keep the previous permissions.
   I also dont see much documentation on the service log.  according to
dovecot -a there are a good number of options, but I dont see any
information about them.

Here are my logging settings below and I am running 2.1.6 and tried on
2.1.5.

### Logging
info_log_path = /home/user/dovecot/logs/dovecot_info.log
log_path = /home/user/dovecot/logs/dovecot.log
debug_log_path = /home/user/dovecot/logs/debug.log

service log {
  user = user
  unix_listener log-errors {
    group = user2