[Dovecot] BEWARE: This list is being harvested for leads

dovecot-20120517 at billmail.scconsult.com dovecot-20120517 at billmail.scconsult.com
Thu May 17 17:20:02 EEST 2012

On 17 May 2012, at 9:46, Charles Marcus wrote:

> On 2012-05-17 9:38 AM, Bill Cole
> <dovecot-20110531 at billmail.scconsult.com> wrote:
>> A spammer claiming to be '"Tim Saarela" <tim.saarela at dovecot.fi>' is
>> sending out a pitch for "Enterprise Level Support" for Dovecot. The
>> address of mine which he hit is only ever used for this mailing list,
>> so
>> it is clear that whatever the mechanism, this list is being harvested
>> for commercial leads.
>
> Chill, Bill...
>
> Tim is working closely with Timo, and I'm sure got Timo's permission
> to send that email to list subscribers.

I subscribed to the Dovecot Users mailing list, not "Whatever spam Timo
thinks is justifiable."

If the terms of subscription are that the former includes the latter,
that's a choice Timo has the power to make and I hope he will make that
choice explicit. It would certainly settle what I tell people who ask my
opinion of Dovecot Solutions Oy.