[Dovecot] BEWARE: This list is being harvested for leads

Dennis Guhl dg at dguhl.org
Thu May 17 18:20:41 EEST 2012

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 10:56:50AM -0400, Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 2012-05-17 10:20 AM, dovecot-20120517 at billmail.scconsult.com wrote:
> >On 17 May 2012, at 9:46, Charles Marcus wrote:
> >>Tim is working closely with Timo, and I'm sure got Timo's permission
> >>to send that email to list subscribers.
>
> >I subscribed to the Dovecot Users mailing list, not "Whatever spam
> >Timo thinks is justifiable."
>
> I'm about ready to add you to my PLONK file Bill.
>
> That is ridiculous... if a formal announcement about a commercial
> support company that has Timo's blessing isn't pertinent to
> participants on the dovecot support list, then what is?

I did not received this mail so I can't comment on the appearance but
I would not be happy to receive any unrequested commercial offers,
irrelevant which form it comes along.

I can understand Timo's desire to acquire as much paying customers as
possible, but in this case he should at least have announced --
publicly -- what he plans to do and how to opt out.

Such 'ideas' are a sure way to kill all the good reputation, which is
crucial for open source projects. And, not to forget, it can lead to
some nasty legal problems. Such forms of email marketing are at least
in the EU and US prohibited.

> Just admit you made a silly mistake and move on...

The only silly mistake was this answer of yours.

Dennis
--
Dennis Guhl