[Dovecot] BEWARE: you might be supporting the lists owner!!

Linda Walsh dovecot at tlinx.org
Fri May 18 06:32:31 EEST 2012

Jeff Kletsky wrote:
> Even with "good intent" the message in question is clearly in
> violation of CAN-SPAM and Cal. Bus. Prof. Code Sec. 17529, of which
> the sender was informed of when my server was accessed.
---
    And you have proof of this?  That they received notice?  I assume
you have
their signature?  Computers talking in the night doesn't count as 'proof'.

> It was very clearly an "electronic mail message the primary purpose of
> which is the commercial advertisement or promotion of a commercial
> product or service."
===
    Really?  Dovecot is a commercial venture?  I thought it was free
software.
Someone, with the personal permission of the list owner was allowed to
mention that they would be willing to offer support for this product?
Are you pissed because they didn't offer it for free?  This is a list
about dovecot -- no where does it say it will be private nor that the
email addresses on this list are protected from spam.  Dovecot isn't a
private company.

    It doesn't matter if it was good or bad intent.  You being on this list
of your own free will establishes a relationship of the sort that, if
pre-existing, permits commercial offers.  If you don't want that ever
again, otherwise by remaining on the list, you give some permission for
occasional
messages that might be construed to offering services for money, that are
approved by the list owner.

    If it exceeds anyone's tolerance, including mine, I would believe
any of us would have the same right to leave.  I don't think the list
owner would want to abuse his position and cause wholesale departures.
OTOH, I don't think this
rises anywhere near to the level of even the most minor offense.

    Personally, I found this discussion *about* the issue to have
generated more traffic than all the spam I've gotten from this list in
the past 6 months.

    So -- guess what?   I don't care.

    You might want to reconsider your demands on the list owner who has
put together some fine quality software for your use -- for free.
Otherwise,  you risk really looking like a completely self-centered
pompous ass.

And note,  this is based on current traffic levels from this list of
such email (which are way exceeded by the people talking about it -- so
it's completely irrational to argue about it occurring or not when the
people complaining about it have generated over 10 times as much traffic
in a few days.  As for the spam
levels from here.. My spam filters regularly take out about 30 spam
messages/day
(based on the 1200+ messages in the past 40 days in my spam folder).
Like 1
email from a list I subscribe to is gonna likely even be noticed by
me??  Unlikely.

(normally a lurker, but someone who can't tolerate intolerance!  ;-)  )...