[Dovecot] BEWARE: you might be supporting the lists owner!!

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Fri May 18 09:10:17 EEST 2012

On Fri, 2012-05-18 at 11:35 +0700, Tamsy wrote:

> All that noise because of one mail offering some paid support is so

one mail multiplies by all the miscreants in the world adds up to a
bucket load of crap

> unnecessary!

Actually, it has merits, because it is spam, had it gone to users@ or
announce@  it of course would be no big deal, the fact it went direct is
where the line was crossed when there is no explicit mention in the
lists welcoming message that you might from time to time get commercial
opportunity emails sent directly to you.

> The Delete-Button is just one click away and in case something like this
> happens too often what for do we have this wonderful Sieve to this great
> Dovecot-software? ;-)

As is the auto redirect address to place the senders MTA server IP in
DNSBL's.

Imagine the outcry you mob would be carrying on about if Microsoft did
the same thing, nobody would be so quick to defend them :)

OH, and it would not be the first time dovecots servers have been in a
DNSBL, last time  was about 2 or 3 years ago IIRC.