[Dovecot] Berkeley DB with Dovecot

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Sun May 20 14:35:46 EEST 2012

On 5/20/2012 6:19 AM, Jerry wrote:
> I have a friend who is preparing to set up a small Postfix/Dovecot mail
> system. There are only approximately 25 users. He wants to use Berkeley
> DB in a similar fashion to the way Postfix does. I told him I do not
> believe Dovecot supports that. I could not find any documentation
> relating to it.
>
> 1) Does Dovecot support Berkeley DB?

No:  http://wiki.dovecot.org/AuthDatabase

These databases can be used as both password databases and user databases:

    Passwd: System users (NSS, /etc/passwd, or similiar)

    Passwd-file: /etc/passwd-like file in specified location

    LDAP: Lightweight Directory Access Protocol

    SQL: SQL database (PostgreSQL, MySQL, SQLite)

    VPopMail: External software used to handle virtual domains

> 2) Are their any plans to incorporate that feature into Dovecot? It

[Timo answers here]

> seems like it could potentially be a very useful feature. I have used
> it myself when a full blown MySQL configuration seemed like over-kill
> on other small projects.

SQLite is the appropriate solution for this scenario.

--
Stan