[Dovecot] Berkeley DB with Dovecot

Luuk@dovecot dovecot at vosslamber.nl
Sun May 20 20:48:49 EEST 2012

On 20-05-2012 19:00, Jerry wrote:
> On Sun, 20 May 2012 10:13:45 -0500
> /dev/rob0 articulated:
>
>> On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 08:11:33AM -0400, Jerry wrote:
>>> On Sun, 20 May 2012 06:35:46 -0500 Stan Hoeppner articulated:

>>> Requires loading another application when it is not necessary.
>>
>> What application in particular? SQLite is a file format, not a
>> daemon. Both Dovecot and Postfix support it well (in the latter case,
>> use at least 2.8.9 or 2.9 due to a bug.)
>>
>> sqlite3(1) is the console client for SQLite. You can use that or any
>> other SQLite client to maintain your database file.
>>
>> My own sordid SQLite mail server howto is linked at the .sig site.
>
> What I meant was that "SQLite" would have to be installed on the
> system. As far as I know, it is not; although MySQL is. I just talked
> to my friend and he told me the problem was that the owner of the
> company was/is afraid of damaging the databases presently in use. We
> are going to assure him that no such thing will happen and hopefully put
> his mind at ease. At present all of their mail is handled by a third
> party and they want to now handle it all in house.
>
> I still think that supporting Berkeley DB is a worthwhile goal; however
> that is my own 2¢.

SQlite is only 61Kb, no config is needed

If you start using MySQL, and the MySQL-database is changed because of
some upgrades to the system that currenly uses it, it might have an
impact on your mail-system....

For that 2 cents, i would install SQlite!

#> zypper info sqlite3
Information for package sqlite3:

Repository: openSUSE-12.1-Oss
Name: sqlite3
Version: 3.7.8-1.1.2
Arch: x86_64
Vendor: openSUSE
Installed: Yes
SQLite is a C library that implements an embeddable SQL database
engine. Programs that link with the SQLite library can have SQL
database access without running a separate RDBMS process.
SQLite is not a client library used to connect to a big database
server. SQLite is a server and the SQLite library reads and writes
directly to and from the database files on disk.
SQLite can be used via the sqlite command line tool or via any
application that supports the Qt database plug-ins.