[Dovecot] i can't make DOTS before mailbox names

Wed May 30 14:38:30 EEST 2012

On 2012-05-29 4:57 PM, John Goodner <jg at minla.net> wrote:
> mail_location: maildir:/var/vmail/%d/%n@%d:INBOX=/var/vmail/%d/%n@%d:LAYOUT=fs

I think the problem lies with the LAYOUT=fs above, but I'm not sure...

The wiki seems to say that this was specifically to get 1.1 to see the
folders:

http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/Maildir#Directory_Structure

> Dovecot uses Maildir++ directory layout for organizing mailbox
> directories. This means that all the folders are directly inside
> ~/Maildir directory:
>
> ~/Maildir/new, ~/Maildir/cur and ~/Maildir/tmp directories contain
> the messages for INBOX. The tmp directory is used during delivery,
> new messages arrive in new and read shall be moved to cur by the
> clients.
>
> ~/Maildir/.folder/ is a mailbox folder
>
> ~/Maildir/.folder.subfolder/ is a subfolder of a folder (ie.
> "folder/subfolder")
>
> Most importantly this means that if your maildir folders exist in
> eg.
~/Maildir/folder and ~/Maildir/folder/subfolder, Dovecot won't see them
> unless you rename them to Maildir++ layout. v1.1 supports them by
> adding :LAYOUT=fs to mail_location.

So, try removing the LAYOUT=fs...

If that isn't it, I'm sure Timo will chime in with the correct answer...

Incidentally - why are you storing the maildirs in /%d/, then
duplicating the %d again in the users directory? Why not just /%d/%n?

--

Best regards,

Charles