[Dovecot] i can't make DOTS before mailbox names

John Goodner jg at minla.net
Tue May 29 23:57:01 EEST 2012

hello

i have a real stumper of an issue here and need some help! (config posted below)

ok, so i'm building out a new mail system with v1.2.15 of dovecot on debian6

this new system is  being designed to seamlessly migrate from an older dovecot mail system (v1.1.3).  i have everything almost perfect but i've hit a wall which I need help on.

so the existing mailboxes on the old server are as such:

cur
dovecot.index
dovecot.index.cache
dovecot.index.log
dovecot-uidlist
dovecot-uidvalidity
dovecot-uidvalidity.4fbffa1a
.INBOX.Drafts
.INBOX.Sent
.INBOX.Trash
new
subscriptions
tmp
.Trash

NOTICE that it puts the . in before INBOX

now on the new mailserver I get this:

cur
dovecot.index.cache
dovecot.index.log
dovecot-uidlist
dovecot-uidvalidity
dovecot-uidvalidity.4fc03e57
Drafts
INBOX
new
Sent
subscriptions
tmp
Trash

Notice how it's no longer using DOTS before the names.  so what i need to do is make the new mail server DUPLICATE EXACTLY the folder layouts of the old server.

i've tried fussing with Namespace and the MailDir and especially the PREFIX option which is seems to ignore a '.' to start a filename. i also fussed with the autocreate hoping i could find something there to adjust.  but no good.

no matter what i do I can't get it to make or read .Trash .Sent .Drafts!

please help me!  any advice would be appreciated. i'm also willing to hire someone to finish up the config for me. shouldn't take more than a couple hours.

thanks!

jg

here's my config:

root at mailserver1:/# dovecot -n
# 1.2.15: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.32-5-686 i686 Debian 6.0.5 nfs
log_path: /var/log/dovecot.log
log_timestamp: %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S
protocols: imap imaps pop3 pop3s
disable_plaintext_auth: no
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3-login
mail_location: maildir:/var/vmail/%d/%n@%d:INBOX=/var/vmail/%d/%n@%d:LAYOUT=fs
mbox_write_locks: fcntl dotlock
mail_executable(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3
mail_plugin_dir(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/imap
mail_plugin_dir(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/imap
mail_plugin_dir(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/pop3
namespace:
  type: private
  separator: .
  prefix: .INBOX.
  inbox: yes
  list: yes
  subscriptions: yes
lda:
  log_path: /var/log/dovecot-deliver.log
  auth_socket_path: /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
  postmaster_address: postmaster at m.minla.net
  mail_plugins: sieve
  global_script_path: /home/vmail/globalsieverc
auth default:
  passdb:
    driver: sql
    args: /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf
  userdb:
    driver: static
    args: uid=1010 gid=1010 home=/home/vmail allow_all_users=yes
  socket:
    type: listen
    client:
      path: /var/spool/postfix/private/auth