[Dovecot] Missing Messages on IOS device

David Morsberger dave at morsberger.com
Wed Nov 28 05:21:07 EET 2012

Resending because I didn't get any responses from my first post:

I just converted my old server running UW/Panda to a Mac Mini Server running Mountain Lion (ML) Server. I'm using the postfix / dovecot setup provided by Apple.

My IMAP clients are not showing all my emails. The Mail App on my iPhone and iPad is behaving the worse. I can see the emails that are not showing up in the cur directory.

The ML Mail App is stating there are 3854 emails in my INBOX. There are 3948 files in the 'cur' directory ('ls cur | wc -l' returns 3948). Other mailboxes and directories have the same behavior. I'm not sure what to expect here.

My method of conversion was to bulk copy (drag and drop) all the messages from one the UW server to the Dovecot server using the Apple Desktop Mail App in Mountain Lion.

Any idea why these messages are not showing up on my devices and how I can get them to show up?

bash-3.2# /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/sbin/dovecotd --version
2.0.19apple1

bash-3.2# /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/sbin/dovecotd -n
# 2.0.19apple1: /Library/Server/Mail/Config/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Darwin 12.2.1 x86_64  hfs
aps_topic = com.apple.mail.XServer.fc3bb7c3-c8ef-4fe2-aff3-95ecd927fb11
auth_mechanisms = cram-md5 x-plain-submit plain login apop digest-md5
auth_socket_path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-userdb
auth_username_format = %n
default_internal_user = _dovecot
default_login_user = _dovenull
disable_plaintext_auth = no
first_valid_gid = 6
first_valid_uid = 6
mail_access_groups = mail
mail_location = maildir:/Library/Server/Mail/Data/mail/%u
mail_log_prefix = "%s(pid %p user %u): "
mail_plugins = quota zlib fts fts_sk
managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope encoded-character vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric relational regex imap4flags copy include variables body enotify environment mailbox date ihave
mdbox_rotate_size = 200 M
passdb {
 args = /Library/Server/Mail/Config/dovecot/submit.passdb
 driver = passwd-file
 pass = yes
 submit = yes
}
passdb {
 driver = od
}
plugin {
 fts = sk
 quota = maildir:User quota
 quota_warning = storage=100%% quota-exceeded %u
 sieve = /Library/Server/Mail/Data/rules/%u/dovecot.sieve
 sieve_dir = /Library/Server/Mail/Data/rules/%u
}
postmaster_address = postmaster at mini.mmpcrofton.com
protocols = imap pop3 lmtp sieve
quota_full_tempfail = yes
service auth {
 extra_groups = _keytabusers
 idle_kill = 15 mins
 unix_listener auth-userdb {
   user = _dovecot
 }
}
service dns_client {
 unix_listener dns-client {
   mode = 0600
 }
}
service imap-login {
 inet_listener imap {
   port = 143
 }
 inet_listener imaps {
   port = 993
   ssl = yes
 }
 service_count = 0
}
service imap {
 client_limit = 5
 process_limit = 200
 service_count = 0
}
service lmtp {
 unix_listener lmtp {
   mode = 0600
 }
}
service managesieve-login {
 inet_listener sieve {
   port = 4190
 }
}
service pop3-login {
 inet_listener pop3 {
   port = 110
 }
 inet_listener pop3s {
   port = 995
   ssl = yes
 }
}
service pop3 {
 client_limit = 5
 process_limit = 200
 service_count = 0
}
service quota-exceeded {
 executable = script /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/libexec/dovecot/quota-exceeded.sh
 unix_listener quota-exceeded {
   group = mail
   mode = 0660
   user = _dovecot
 }
 user = _dovecot
}
service quota-warning {
 executable = script /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/libexec/dovecot/quota-warning.sh
 unix_listener quota-warning {
   group = mail
   mode = 0660
   user = _dovecot
 }
 user = _dovecot
}
ssl_ca = </etc/certificates/*.chain.pem
ssl_cert = </etc/certificates/*.cert.pem
ssl_cipher_list = ALL:!LOW:!SSLv2:!EXP:!aNULL:!ADH:!eNULL
ssl_key = </etc/certificates/*.key.pem
ssl_key_path = /etc/certificates/*.key.pem
syslog_facility = local6
userdb {
 args = partition=/Library/Server/Mail/Config/dovecot/partition_map.conf enforce_quotas=no
 driver = od
}
verbose_proctitle = yes
protocol lmtp {
 mail_plugins = quota zlib fts fts_sk sieve push_notify
}
protocol lda {
 mail_plugins = quota zlib fts fts_sk sieve push_notify
}
protocol imap {
 imap_id_log = *
 imap_id_send = "name" * "version" *
 mail_max_userip_connections = 20
 mail_plugins = quota zlib fts fts_sk imap_quota imap_zlib imap_fts urlauth
}
protocol pop3 {
 mail_max_userip_connections = 6
}