[Dovecot] Error: Internal quota calculation error

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Nov 7 17:41:47 EET 2012

On 31.10.2012, at 21.15, Micah Anderson wrote:

> I'm using 2.1.7 with seive and mysql quotas. We had an outage the other
> day where the database server where quotas are stored was not available
> for a short period of time.
>
> In dovecot land, the following types of errors occured in that scenario:
>
> Oct 26 22:19:01 grosbeak dovecot: lda(example at riseup.net): Error: Internal quota calculation error

Hmm. I wonder if I should add more error message logging in here.. Although I think the main reason is that dict isn't connected to SQL database, and it should have logged about it already.

> Oct 26 22:19:01 grosbeak dovecot: lda(example at riseup.net): Error: sieve: msgid=<20122132765181x.ABCCE457 at example.com>: failed to store into mailbox 'Trash': Internal error occurred. Refer to server log for more information. [2012-10-26 22:19:01]
> Oct 26 22:19:01 grosbeak dovecot: lda(example at riseup.net): Error: sieve: script /maildir/e/example/.dovecot.sieve failed with unsuccessful implicit keep (user logfile /maildir/e/example/.dovecot.sieve.log may reveal additional details)
>
> I expect that there would be quota calculation errors as dovecot could
> not reach the database server, but what worried me was the 'failed to
> store into mailbox' message from sieve. The 'Trash' mailbox in this
> particular seive script is the correct location for the message to be
> filed into, but the worrisome message is the 'failed with unsuccessful
> implicit keep'.

Dovecot returns temporary failure and the mail should get redelivered. v2.1.9+ has also plugin { quota_ignore_save_errors=yes } setting, which is the default also with v2.2.