[Dovecot] Master User Question

Marc Perkel marc at perkel.com
Mon Oct 8 21:52:45 EEST 2012

On 10/8/2012 11:43 AM, Robert Schetterer wrote:
> Am 08.10.2012 20:32, schrieb Marc Perkel:

>>> i dont understand why login should work with masteruser to user , when
>>> user does not exist, would you like to get the user created on the fly
>>> by masteruser login etc ?
>> The directory structure for user at example.com exists. Just not in the
>> regular mysql database. If I create a fake passdb system it works:
>>
>> passdb {
>>    driver = static
>>    args = nopassword=y
>> }
>>
>> However - it leaves the system wide open for anyone. Basically - only
>> master users are going to log in and manage stored spam for regular
>> users. The master user will be able to spoof being the regular user to
>> review stored spam.
>>

> whats the problem in simply create the user mailbox?
> i.e lda etc may do it on the fly be recieving a mail
>
> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/LDA
> -m <mailbox>: Destination mailbox (default is INBOX). If the mailbox
> doesn't exist, it will not be created (unless the lda_mailbox_autocreate
> setting is set to yes). If message couldn't be saved to the mailbox for
> any reason, it's delivered to INBOX instead.

Maybe there's some way to have more than one mail_location? I have this
- and it's confusing:

maildir:/fakedir/%d/%n:INBOX=/email/%d/%n:LAYOUT=fs

the /fakedir directory is externally built and it has symlinks pointing
onto the /email directory where the email is stored. If I could set up a
passdb and specify a different mail_location that might solve my
problem, at least one of them.

So close - yet so far away.