[Dovecot] how to best import Evolution/Thunderbird mail into dovecot?

Christoph Anton Mitterer calestyo at scientia.net
Wed Oct 17 21:21:47 EEST 2012

On Wed, 2012-10-17 at 13:12 -0500, /dev/rob0 wrote:
> > Well as I've mentioned... on looses the info in the From_ lines
> > (that is the RCPT TO address and the date of arrival) because
> > Evolution does not correctly migrated them (actually I'm not sure
> > whether IMAP would allow that).
> Perhaps you mean the "^From " mbox delimiter line.
Yes I meant them (the _ should have denoted the space)

>  You do not need
> mbox delimiters in maildir files.
I know..

> Did you mention whether or not
> you're using maildir?
The reason is mainly that I have gazillions of mail in a ~ 60 GB
archive... even with an fs optimised for small files I'd loose far too
much space per mail than I want to afford.

Also, AFAIK full text search becomes much solver in maildir (as you need
to open/close endless files). On the longterm view I want to have a look
into things like dbmail/archiveopteryx... for the giant local archive...
and keep dovecot "only" as the internet mail server.

Ideally dovecot would have such an SQL backend...or incorporate that
part from Archiveopteryx.

Cheers,
Chris.