[Dovecot] lmtp proxy logging

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Oct 18 07:07:03 EEST 2012

On 18.10.2012, at 6.48, Jack Bates wrote:

> How do you feel about parent pointers in child structures? I'm curious as the proxy structure is passed the input channel, but it doesn't know much else about the input client. Rather than pass additional information in the structure, I think it'd be better to just place a pointer back to the input client so we can access all it's details.

Generally speaking it's cleaner to keep things as separate as possible. Maybe instead of proxy getting lmtp_client pointer both of them could contain a shared struct lmtp_client_info or something like that. But in any case I'll probably more or less rewrite the whole LMTP code at some point, because I'm planning to implement SMTP submission server and it should share the code with LMTP. (Also I've already written a completely separate tiny SMTP server implementation, which should be merged with both of those. So I guess it needs to become a bit more generic lib-smtp-server.)