[Dovecot] how to best import Evolution/Thunderbird mail into dovecot?

Robert Schetterer rs at sys4.de
Thu Oct 18 11:42:56 EEST 2012

Am 17.10.2012 20:21, schrieb Christoph Anton Mitterer:
> On Wed, 2012-10-17 at 13:12 -0500, /dev/rob0 wrote:
>>> Well as I've mentioned... on looses the info in the From_ lines
>>> (that is the RCPT TO address and the date of arrival) because
>>> Evolution does not correctly migrated them (actually I'm not sure
>>> whether IMAP would allow that).
>> Perhaps you mean the "^From " mbox delimiter line.
> Yes I meant them (the _ should have denoted the space)
>

>>  You do not need
>> mbox delimiters in maildir files.
> I know..
>

>> Did you mention whether or not
>> you're using maildir?
> The reason is mainly that I have gazillions of mail in a ~ 60 GB
> archive... even with an fs optimised for small files I'd loose far too
> much space per mail than I want to afford.
>
> Also, AFAIK full text search becomes much solver in maildir (as you need
> to open/close endless files). On the longterm view I want to have a look
> into things like dbmail/archiveopteryx... for the giant local archive...
> and keep dovecot "only" as the internet mail server.
>
> Ideally dovecot would have such an SQL backend...or incorporate that
> part from Archiveopteryx.
>

> Cheers,
> Chris.

this may help too

http://www.stchman.com/export_evolution.html
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-export-your-mails-from-evolution-to-thunderbird.html

http://jaisejames.wordpress.com/2012/03/15/to-activate-maildir-in-thunderbird/
http://realtechtalk.com/ThunderbirdMBOX_to_IMAPMaildir_migration_done_easy_with_mb2md-1134-articles

--
Best Regards
MfG Robert Schetterer

sys4 AG
Franziskanerstraße 15      Telefon +49 89 3090 4664
81669 München              Telefax +49 89 3090 4666