[Dovecot] spamc can't seem to call /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver

Bill Shirley Bill at KnoxvilleChristian.org
Wed Oct 24 23:04:20 EEST 2012

On 10/24/2012 2:24 PM, Robert Schetterer wrote:
> Am 24.10.2012 19:21, schrieb Bill Shirley:
>> Admittedly, I have not used amavisd-new or LMTP; they may be better.
>> But will they allow spamassassin per-user prefs? Performance is a plus;
>> another daemon is not.  That saying, I'll run another daemon if I get
>> something out of it.  Any benchmarks on this?
> this went away from the orig post, it went to general design
> of a email system, i think rob did explain the possible problems
> to the orginal poster very fine
>
> some people may start with local users as traditional
> mailsetup depend on this next steps they are going to use lda
> perhaps trying combined with spamc with local users
> so there is nothing bad on it, its somehow old school,
> after all, as said ,there are many broken advices out in www by all
> setups, and sometimes there are mixed up by local and virtual, so people
> may fail with permissions of local users , daemons etc
>
> sometimes later if more domains should be hosted
> pure virtual setups are the better way, and making stuff more simple (
> but often people fail first in seeing virtual more easy  ),
>
> lmtp is the best choice for it compared starting a deliver process for
> each mail, its working as a service
>
> So anyone should think about what he needs before starting to setup
>
> i.e amavis is a well supported framework since long time, it has tons of
> features
> you might wanna have  and as well it can be used with per-user prefs
>
> if you dont like the complex amavis style ( many functions have many
> config points ), you could simple use a chain of milter i.e
> spamass-milter ( also with per-user prefs ), clamav-milter
>
> with milter you are able to reject on smtp income stage
> which is very cool
> anyway milters also have their pros an contras, read postfix sites about
> them
>
> i didnt tested dspam looks like it chained between lmtp
> so perhaps also good choice, and could be combined with milters
>
> i had other setups with chained spampd/clamsmtp
> amavis on seperate filter hosts etc
> all worked fine
>
> but as dovecot/postfix development going forward , i redesigned all
> these depending to have more functions and performance
>
> so i recommand, use your working setups as i.e lifetime of your hardware
> etc, but if building new mailserver choose modern setup ideas
> and daemon combinations
>

> Best Regards
> MfG Robert Schetterer

Thank you for a very informative post.  I took a quick look at
spamass-milter but I can't find any configuration information on how to
use spamasssassin's per-user prefs.  I thought the only way to support
per-user prefs was post queue since you have to know who is getting the
email to check their prefs.

I am using clamav-milter.  Milters are nice.

I set my mail server up 15+ years ago, so it's time for me to have a
re-think here.  At that time there were no milters for postfix (don't
remember a Dovecot either).  I've try to steer away from re-injects
since they affect the mail received numbers.  Are we saying Dovecot's
LMTP can call spamd?  I'm on Dovecot 1.2 at home until I can upgrade.
There is no LMTP in Dovecot 1.x, right?

I have a few mail servers running Dovecot 2.0 and 2.1 and yes, I want
them to perform well.

Bill