[Dovecot] spamc can't seem to call /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver

Robert Schetterer rs at sys4.de
Thu Oct 25 00:40:36 EEST 2012

Am 24.10.2012 22:04, schrieb Bill Shirley:

> On 10/24/2012 2:24 PM, Robert Schetterer wrote:
>> Am 24.10.2012 19:21, schrieb Bill Shirley:
>>> Admittedly, I have not used amavisd-new or LMTP; they may be better.
>>> But will they allow spamassassin per-user prefs? Performance is a plus;
>>> another daemon is not.  That saying, I'll run another daemon if I get
>>> something out of it.  Any benchmarks on this?
>> this went away from the orig post, it went to general design
>> of a email system, i think rob did explain the possible problems
>> to the orginal poster very fine
>>
>> some people may start with local users as traditional
>> mailsetup depend on this next steps they are going to use lda
>> perhaps trying combined with spamc with local users
>> so there is nothing bad on it, its somehow old school,
>> after all, as said ,there are many broken advices out in www by all
>> setups, and sometimes there are mixed up by local and virtual, so people
>> may fail with permissions of local users , daemons etc
>>
>> sometimes later if more domains should be hosted
>> pure virtual setups are the better way, and making stuff more simple (
>> but often people fail first in seeing virtual more easy  ),
>>
>> lmtp is the best choice for it compared starting a deliver process for
>> each mail, its working as a service
>>
>> So anyone should think about what he needs before starting to setup
>>
>> i.e amavis is a well supported framework since long time, it has tons of
>> features
>> you might wanna have  and as well it can be used with per-user prefs
>>
>> if you dont like the complex amavis style ( many functions have many
>> config points ), you could simple use a chain of milter i.e
>> spamass-milter ( also with per-user prefs ), clamav-milter
>>
>> with milter you are able to reject on smtp income stage
>> which is very cool
>> anyway milters also have their pros an contras, read postfix sites about
>> them
>>
>> i didnt tested dspam looks like it chained between lmtp
>> so perhaps also good choice, and could be combined with milters
>>
>> i had other setups with chained spampd/clamsmtp
>> amavis on seperate filter hosts etc
>> all worked fine
>>
>> but as dovecot/postfix development going forward , i redesigned all
>> these depending to have more functions and performance
>>
>> so i recommand, use your working setups as i.e lifetime of your hardware
>> etc, but if building new mailserver choose modern setup ideas
>> and daemon combinations
>>

>> Best Regards
>> MfG Robert Schetterer
>>
> Thank you for a very informative post.  I took a quick look at
> spamass-milter but I can't find any configuration information on how to
> use spamasssassin's per-user prefs.  I thought the only way to support
> per-user prefs was post queue since you have to know who is getting the
> email to check their prefs.

you have to study its parameters ( they may differ by version and distro )

http://linux.die.net/man/1/spamass-milter

i use it like

/usr/sbin/spamass-milter -P
/var/spool/postfix/spamass-milter/spamass.pid -f -p
/var/spool/postfix/spamass/spamass.sock -f -e -x -I -u vmail -r 15 -i
127.0.0.1

i have my spamassassin setup with mysql
for users self settings use i.e.e webmail horde with sam module, or
something equal with i.e squirrelmail or roundcube

but i managed it before ,also in using local files with maildrop

as i said ,its not ideal cause of pre queue design, but reality shows
good enough
for big isp setup and it may be combined

> I am using clamav-milter.  Milters are nice.

for antispam using sanesecurity antispam signatures are nice
thats "cheaper" then spamassassin

> I set my mail server up 15+ years ago, so it's time for me to have a
> re-think here.  At that time there were no milters for postfix (don't
> remember a Dovecot either).  I've try to steer away from re-injects
> since they affect the mail received numbers.

Are we saying Dovecot's
> LMTP can call spamd?

i dont tested ,looks like dspam can do it

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/HowTo/Virtual%2BPostfix%2BDspam%2BDovecot

  I'm on Dovecot 1.2 at home until I can upgrade.
> There is no LMTP in Dovecot 1.x, right?

yes ,you should use 2.1.x

> I have a few mail servers running Dovecot 2.0 and 2.1 and yes, I want
> them to perform well.

so you may change setup layout

> Bill

Best Regards