[Dovecot] Creating Maildir and populating with emails via external Python process

Tom Hendrikx tom at whyscream.net
Thu Oct 25 22:41:06 EEST 2012

On 25/10/12 21:13, Bradley Rintoul wrote:
> This could be good.  I'd never looked into the LDA - I will study up on it.
>
> Someone else was helping out here and I thought I'd shed some more light on what
> I'm doing here...
>
> Let's  say someone has an account with Yahoo, for example.  My Python code is
> fetching email from the user's Yahoo! account and placing it into the  Dovecot
> Maildir storage for a particular user.  Now when the user  retrieves their mail,
> they are doing so using my Dovecot - my Dovecot  instance is acting as a proxy,
> of sorts...

I'm intrigued by this. Why are you using some self-baked(?) python
script to fetch the mail in stead of using ready-made components like
fetchmail?

Unless there's a special reason not to, try using the LDA (and
fetchmail/getmail for that matter).

This sounds exactly what you want:
http://pyropus.ca/software/getmail/configuration.html#destination-mdaexternal

--