[Dovecot] Rebuilding indexes fails on inconsistent mdbox

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Sat Oct 27 05:54:21 EEST 2012

On 10/26/2012 1:30 PM, Milan Holzäpfel wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 13:28:11 +0200
> Milan Holzäpfel <listen at mjh.name> wrote:
>
>> I have a problem with an incosistent mdbox:
>> [...]
>> The problem appeared out of nowhere. [...]
>
> That's just wrong. Two minutes before the corruption occured for
> the first time, the machine was booted after power-off without prior
> shutdown. I didn't notice this until now, sorry for this.

Ahh, more critical information.  Better late than never I guess.

> The mailbox is on XFS. As far as I remember, XFS in known for leaving
> NULL bytes at the end of files after a system reset. At least, I found
> 72 bytes of NULL in a plain text log file on XFS after such an event.
> Do you think this may be the source of the index corruption?

Very possibly.

> Do you have any other suggestions for recovering the mailbox?

Other than restoring from a backup, I do not.  Others might.  But I will
offer this suggestion:  Never run a server without a properly
functioning UPS and shutdown scripts.

The system in question isn't a laptop is it?  I'm trying to ascertain
how many server 'rules' you're breaking before making any more
assumptions or giving any more advice.

--
Stan